Périgord, Vezelay route. The middle ages : the time of warriors.The first owner of the estate was Guy de Lastours, around the year 1000. Gouffier de Lastours, one of this descendents, is thought to be one of the 30 knights who entered Jerusalem in 1099 alongside Godefroy de Bouillon. In the 12th century an alliance was formed, meaning the fortress belonged to the De Born family, represented by two feuding brothers, Constantin and the famous troubadour Bertran de Born. The medieval fortress, which we only know about through writings, then consisted of a keep and several towers linked by battlements. In the 15th century, the Château passed to a branch of the De Gontaut family, who took the name and coat of arms of Hautefort.
© Jean-Pierre Rousset / www.compostela-images.com
Published in: Vézelay Route